Computer Networks: Heralds of Resource Sharing
[Update: the definitive version of this list has moved to Wikipedia, thanks to Edward. I have also been told that I misidentified Jon Postel.]
This ARPANET film, from 1972, discussed recently on the Interesting People mailing list, features many of the most important names in computer networking. Some of them have speaking parts; some are only shown in cameos. Here is a list of the ones identified so far. It would be better to actually annotate the video for this, or at least put up a wiki, but this is quick...comments encouraged!
- Fernando J. Corbato (Corby), more links here: (voice 0:45-1:15, face 1:00-1:15, 15:10-15:40) Turing Award-winning implementer of multitasking operating systems.
- J.C.R. Licklider: (1:00-1:40), and many times throughout the film
- Lawrence G. Roberts: (voice 1:40-2:25) SIGCOMM Award winner.
- Robert Kahn: (2:25-2:35, 3:15-6:25, 6:55-) Turing Award winner.
- Frank Heart: (2:35-3:15, 6:25-6:55)
- William R. Sutherland: (13:50-15:10)
- Richard W. Watson: (17:34-18:30, 25:05-25:15) Dick is one of the key mass storage researchers of the last thirty years.
- John R. Pasta: (18:30-19:25)
- Donald W. Davies: (19:25-21:55)
- George W. Mitchell: (21:55-24:05, voice only)
- Jon Postel: (8:27-8:32, with beard and glasses)
It would actually be nice to identify the locations and equipment, too...