Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Birthday!

A day late, but yesterday was Edgar Allan Poe's two hundredth birthday! Happy birthday to one of my favorite writers.

Tonight's midnight (well, two a.m., Tokyo time) promises to be anything but dreary, as I ponder (perhaps weak and weary due to a cold I've contracted) the inauguration. Obama's TODO list is infinitely long, but hope dawns across the land. Hmm, there are lots of comparisons to Lincoln, King, and Kennedy; I wonder if there's an appropriate Poe quote?

3 comments:

Our Man in Abiko said...

How about:

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Edgar Allan Poe, "Eleonora"

rdv said...

Whoo! I love it. If ever there was a human who dreamed only dark dreams, it was Dick Cheney...

And Obama's dreams, whether from his father or of hope, are certainly made of the same stuff as daylight.

Our Man in Abiko said...

I know it was very un-American of me, but I really enjoyed the partisan booing of George W. before the speech began. By the way, have you read Ted Rall's blog Search and Destroy? He is scathing about Obama - for being too centrist. Entertaining reading, but I fear Ted might be on to something...

http://www.rall.com/rants.html