Friday, December 07, 2007

IP Storage Mailing List Archive

The only link Google could produce (to my queries, anyway) to the IP Storage Mailing List archive was broken. A query to the fine folks at CMU was quickly answered, and you can find the archives here.

My principal impression, some years later, is one of an enormous amount of work: the key players worked very hard to build a high-quality spec. By the time the IPS effort got underway, I was buried in work at the now-nonexistent Network Alchemy. I don't regret any of the time I spent at Alchemy or Nokia (which bought Alchemy), but after having broken some of the initial technical ground, I do wish I could have been more directly involved in the iSCSI effort.

Why am I ruminating about this now? Well, the basic concept of network-attached peripherals, or network-centric system architectures, seems to be percolating back to the surface. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

No comments: