Monday, May 29, 2006

Setting the Standard

Digging for something else in my bibliography file, I ran across my entry for C.A.R. Hoare's "Communicating Sequential Processes", CACM Aug. 1978, and I wondered, "How many times has that been cited?" Well, according to scholar.google.com, 6027 times, so far.

That's the standard, then: a world-changing paper in CS gets cited about six thousand times in a little under thirty years.

I'm idly wondering what might be cited more times. Van Jacobson's "Congestion Avoidance and Control" might be the top networking paper, I'm not sure; but it exists in several forms, complicating things a bit. Scholar cites it as 1995, when it appeared in a collection, and claims a bit under 3,000 times for that.

Anybody either know what the top-cited paper is, or want to take a shot at one that beats CSP?

No comments: