Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Books, 2021

 Looks like I read 34 books in 2021. It seemed like a long, long year of stasis; it feels like all I did was exist and work (maybe in the opposite order), but I read a reasonable amount and it feels like the entire first half year's reading was long, long ago.

A couple of truly stand out books:

  • Best nonfiction: Failure to Disrupt. Super-relevant to my own work, a great discussion of how online learning works best in a well-supported student population. The taxonomy of instructor-directed, peer-directed, and algorithm-directed learning really clarifies and crystallizes things for me.
  • Best fiction: a toss-up between Americanah and Dandelion Wine. Both are books about our place in time, space and family. Both books for me evoked such strong emotions that I kept having to put them down.

No comments: